Thursday, May 8, 2008

Voluntarily limit population

Globally, food prices rose 43% in the first quarter of this year. Right now there is a lot of pain in Asia.

I’m reading The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery. He paints a grim picture. He says it is too late, we have changed the climate. Now we have to wait and see at which point the climate stabilizes. He says we have had a half-degree temperature rise and are committed to another degree and a half rise. Two degrees degrees is about the difference between now and the last ice age.

I suppose the food riots are a part of that climate change. The price rise heralds a shortage; food shortages herald disease… and war.

Since humanity will not voluntarily limit population, for survival we are dependent upon disease, war, weather, tectonic activity, and climate. Without natural and man made catastrophes, man would exceed the carrying capacity of the planet.

Which do you prefer; Asian Bird Flu or World War III?

I’ve been to war. I’ve had the flu. I’ll take the flu, thank you. There is less collateral damage. And it is way more democratic. No draft boards to bribe.

What was it the ranger at Chaco Canyon said? “The invention of agriculture is always attended by architecture, religion, and organized murder, usually war. The Aztecs merely combined the last two” …and called it dinner.

On May 10th we had a blizzard; about four inches of snow and fifty mile-per-hour winds. The next day it was sunny and fifty-four degrees. The storm was short, but very dangerous, especially since I had already put away my cold weather gear.

I wonder if my allergies are on me. I’m not usually this depressing.

No comments: