Bathroom Graffitti
Read in Wagon Mound, NM on 25 Oct. 07.
“F… USA”
A second hand writes, “Then quit sneaking over the boarders.”
A third hand corrects, “It’s borders.”
A couple of nights ago Danni and I caught a graffittist at work. His two buddies saw us and walked away; one east, one west. (He was shaking the can and talking so he didn't hear us approach.)
I asked him what he was going to write, but he claimed to not know whereof I spoke as he "inconspicuously" pocketed the can of paint.
We were yelling at each other across the street. We weren't arguing. Just carrying on a private conversation over traffic.
I hollered, "It is a good sign that you might be doing something wrong, if your friends will abandon you without warning."
He looked around, maybe noticing for the first time that he was alone.
What I didn't say was, that it might also be a good sign that he needs new friends.
I was young once, and in need of new friends.
And I was lucky enough to get them.
May he be lucky, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment